The IT department is responsible for supporting and maintaining the company’s IT systems and for providing efficient desktop support to all business users. 1st Line Support Engineers are responsible for resolving many IT faults quickly and efficiently or escalating to more technically adept engineers.
Roles and responsibilities:
As a 1ST Line Support Engineer you will provide effective IT assistance across all aspects of the business and will provide back up and support to the IT manager. The position is responsible for answering initial queries from users and input into a customer helpdesk system. The position is responsible for ensuring efficient escalation of users IT support queries and ensure timely resolution.
- Escalating IT issues to relevant support unit
- Responsible for managing backup and tape rotation of the IT help desk system
- Diagnosing and resolving simple or common technical issues
- Undertaking small IT projects as instructed by the Support Supervisor
- Process service requests to relevant support units
- Password resets
- Reporting faults and maintaining logs on desktops and laptops
- Assisting in internal user moves and relocation
- Acting as ambassadors to the IT department
- Creating purchase requisitions for IT hardware/software
- Ensuring licensing for all software purchased is recorded and maintained
- Setting up new users and disabling expired accounts in accordance with HR requirements.
1ST Line Support should have a very good understanding of IT in general. It’s common to hold formal and professional qualifications such as HND, BSc. and/or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer (MCSE) qualifications.
2ND Line Support, 3RD Line Support, 2ND Line Network Support, 3RD Line Network Support, Help Desk Supervisor/Manager, Senior Network Engineer, Network Manager, Server Engineer, Systems Manager, Data Centre Manager, Service Delivery Manager, Project Manager, Programme Manager, IT Manager, CIO, COO, IT Director.
Average salary is £22,500 per annum as of June 2014 for 1ST Line Support Engineer based in London.