The IT department is responsible for supporting and maintaining the company’s IT systems and for providing efficient desktop support to all business users. 2nd Line Support Engineers are responsible for resolving any IT faults quickly and efficiently and escalating if necessary.
Roles and responsibilities:
As a 2ND Line Support Engineer you will provide effective IT assistance across all aspects of the business and will provide back up and support to the IT manager. The position is responsible for supporting and maintaining servers and desktop operating systems including email and general maintenance. The position is responsible for ensuring efficient escalation of users IT support queries to higher levels of support and to ensure timely resolution.
- Escalating IT issues to relevant support units where necessary
- Responsible for managing backup and tape rotation
- Diagnosing and resolving technical issues
- Undertaking small-to-medium sized IT projects as instructed by the Support Supervisor
- Provide desk side support to users where necessary
- Reporting faults and maintaining logs on desktops and laptops
- Assisting in internal user moves and relocation’s
- Acting as ambassadors to the IT department
- Setting up and configure laptops and desktops
- Installing authorised software to laptops and desktops
- Creating purchase requisitions for IT hardware/software
- Ensure security and upgrades are applied to desktops and laptops and kept up to date
- Antivirus installation to all desktops and laptops
- Fault finding to desktops and laptops
- Patching of network devices and telephone handsets
- Making Cat 5e network cables where necessary
- Ensuring all logs for equipment and users are maintained
- Providing support to MAC PCs
- Maintaining support documentation
- Writing support documentation and help files for new software and equipment
- Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the IT Manager
- Preparing documents, meeting materials and correspondence
- performing basic administrative support duties, as required to meet specific operational objectives
- Working extra hours to meet deadlines, as required and where reasonable
- Providing assistance to the support supervisor and/or IT manager
- Ensuring that a high level of customer and support is provided to all internal and external customers
- Adhering to company protocols as laid out in the Company Handbook
- Additional responsibilities as requested by the IT Manager.
2ND Line Support should have a very good understanding of IT in general. It’s common to hold formal and professional qualifications such as HND, BSc. and/or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer (MCSE) qualifications.
3RD Line Support, 2ND Line Network Support, 3RD Line Network Support, Help Desk Supervisor/Manager, Senior Network Engineer, Network Manager, Server Engineer, Systems Manager, Data Centre Manager, Service Delivery Manager, Project Manager, Programme Manager, IT Manager, CIO, COO, IT Director.
Average salary is £28,000 per annum as of June 2014 for 2ND Line Support Engineer based in London.