The IT department is responsible for supporting and maintaining the company’s IT systems and for providing efficient desktop user support to all business users. 3rd Line Support Engineers are responsible for resolving any IT faults quickly and efficiently to minimise downtime. This can include fixing a broad range of issues from moving a few users to another floor to moving and relocating the whole office.
Roles and responsibilities:
As a 3RD Line Support Engineer you will provide effective IT assistance across all aspects of the business and will provide back up and support to the IT manager. The position is responsible for supporting and maintaining servers and desktop operating systems including email and general maintenance. The position is responsible for ensuring efficient escalation of users IT support queries to higher levels of support and to ensure timely resolution. You will also provide cover for the Service Delivery Manager and colleagues.
- Problem analysis and finding interim and permanent solutions
- Liaising with suppliers and vendor support teams
- Providing expertise to teams and projects as the technical expert
- Pushing the boundaries of what is possible with technology to reach given goals
- Contributing to the IT standards of software and hardware
- Helping juniors technicians build experience and knowledge
- Using technology to automate tasks and routines
- Quality controlling and maintaining support documentation
- Testing DR and Backups for reliability
- Provide assistance to Network and Infrastructure teams
- Monitor traffic on the LAN and WAN for outages and escalate where necessary
- Provide assistance to the Design team for the general IT Architecture and Data Centre services
- Working extra hours to meet deadlines, as required and where reasonable
- Providing assistance and cover to the support supervisor and/or IT manager
- Ensuring that a high level of customer and support is provided to all internal and external customers
- Adhering to company protocols as laid out in the Company Handbook
- Additional responsibilities as requested by the IT Manager.
3RD Line Support should have a very good understanding of IT in general. It’s common to hold formal and professional qualifications such as HND, BSc. and/or Microsoft Certified Solutions Engineer (MCSE) or Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) qualifications.
Help Desk Supervisor/Manager, Senior Network Engineer, Network Manager, Server Engineer, Systems Manager, Data Centre Manager, Service Delivery Manager, Project Manager, Programme Manager, IT Manager, CIO, COO, IT Director.
Average salary is £47,500 per annum as of June 2014 for 3RD Line Support Engineer based in London.