The IT department is responsible for supporting and maintaining the company’s bespoke IT systems and providing efficient support to its users. The department is responsible for debugging and resolving any IT faults quickly and efficiently, including a broad range of software and developer queries and to systems diagnostics, plus enhancing and developing the IT provision within the business.
Roles & responsibilities:
Application developers also known as software developers are responsible for the development of computer software. Application development managers for computer software are responsible for leading the development of computer software and managing a team of software and application development engineers.
The role of an application developer is to translate software requirements into actual workable programming code. In addition to writing code it to maintain programs including upgrades, bug fixes, compatibility with newly developed software and systems. Programs being developed are usually targeted for business, home or gaming.
- Administrative jobs such as backup
- Documenting client requirements the application is to perform
- Establishing a detailed program specification through client consultation and analysis
- Coding and writing as part of a team effort and to code for a specific section of a program
- Breaking down problems into small bite sized chunks and solving each element until a solution addresses the larger problem
- Working in a team with links to other members i.e. testing team, PMO, server and infrastructure teams etc.
- Installation testing on servers and clients computers and handheld devices
- Integrity testing sample data and live data extracts
- Compatibility testing and providing solutions to compatibility issues
- Conducting user acceptance testing
- Working to planned release schedules, updating, repairing, modifying and developing existing software and applications
- Implementing newly identified requirements and bug fixes
It’s very common for application developers hold a degree such as a BSc., MSc. and/or professional qualifications in Java (Oracle Certified Professional Java Programmer), C++ (Brainbench), C# (Microsoft Virtual Academy) and/or many other programming languages as graduates enter IT as programmers.
Senior applications developer, application development supervisor, systems analysis, applications manager.
Average salary is £50,000 per annum as of June 2014 for Applications Developer based in London.